Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Morning Prayer

Wake my soul with all things living
thanks be giving to the Source of life and day
Sunlight comes and gone confusion,
night's illusion, like the starlight
fades away.


Dearest Lord and God, I fill my life with busy-ness. I fret with things that truly do not matter. I fill my home and my mind and my body, not with the goodness that flows from you, but with things that are of little substance. Lord, still my heart. Cover me with your peace -- let it gently fall upon me like snow, so that I am blanketed with your presence and tranqulity. Bring my will into harmony with yours. Fill my desires with your holiness. Help me fix my eyes on the final goal. Focus my eyes on you, bend my will to your will.

Lord, fill me with your holy and life-giving Spirit so that it moves my human heart and centers my consiousness on you. Focus my attentions on loving my brothers and sisters so that barriers which divide us may crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions are healed and so that we may live in justice and peace. Fill me with your peace -- the peace that passes all human understanding.

You are the God of peace, you have taught us that in returning and resting in you we will be saved, resting in you in quietness and confidence, you will be our strength: By the might of your Spirit lift us, we pray, to your presence, where we may be still and know that you are God.

Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to you, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated unto you; and then use us, we pray you, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people; I hand all that I worry about over to you, I hand my anxiety over to you, I hand my heart and will to you. I pray in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: